Catching Z’s with Melatonin & Sleep
- 12/07/2022 |
- Pure Encapsulations |
- 0 Comments |
What Type of Sleeper Are You?
Are you a mouth or nose-breather? Do you sleep with a fan on or a window open (or both)? Do you need to be completely under the covers, or do you like to have one leg out… or maybe just a foot? Just talking about it makes me want to throw on my PJs and hop into bed with a good book. But, getting to sleep and staying asleep might not always be so easy. Melatonin supplements might be some people’s go-to, but we’ve got a few best-kept secrets about other nutrients to help with sleep support.‡
Get the Downlow on Melatonin:
If I’m being honest, when I first think about sleep support, the first thing to pop in my head is melatonin. Why are melatonin supplements so popular? Why does everyone talk about it? Do they even work? What even is melatonin?
- Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland, which regulates the body’s sleep/wake cycle.‡
- The primary role of Melatonin is to regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, endocrine secretions and sleep patterns. It may help facilitate the onset of sleep, as well as sleep efficiency.1 ‡
Melatonin is one of those supplements that offers a wide range of dosages. As always, if you’re unsure of what serving size is right for you, talk with your healthcare professional as they can help find the dosing that’s right to help support your sleep. If Melatonin 0.5 mg is too little for you, but Melatonin 3 mg is too high, there’s our Melatonin Liquid option which provides 2.5 mg of Melatonin per 1 dropper for your individualized need. ‡
It’s Okay to Take It Slow:
Okay, maybe one quick dose of melatonin isn’t really your thing. That’s the beauty of a sustained release form of melatonin. It’s more of a gradual release into the body and some people may find that this may be a better option for them.
- Melatonin-SR provides sustained-release MicroActive® ‡
- Melatonin-SR provides 3mg of sustained-release MicroActive® melatonin per serving.
- MicroActive® is an innovative, patented delivery system that offers both improved absorption and sustained release.
Now, you may see our options for Melatonin 20 and may be thinking, there’s a big difference between Melatonin 0.5 mg, 2.5 mg, 3 mg and then 20 mg! So let’s clear the air: Melatonin 20 isn’t actually intended for sleep support but instead research supports it may be helpful in promoting cellular health in our tissues and its potential to positively support colon, breast, prostate and lung tissue.2‡
A Glass of Warm Milk for When You Can’t Sleep:
I remember when I was little and I couldn’t sleep, my mom used to warm up some milk on the stove top to help calm me down and coax me back into my dreamy-state. There was something about a warm liquid that helped fill me up and make me feel restful again. Now, I’ve moved past the days of warm milk made on the stove top, but something just speaks to my soul about a ready-to-drink sleep support option that comes in a single serving dose and I can take with me wherever and whenever I need it.
- Glycine and magnesium are included in our Sleep Solution because it may help support muscle relaxation and a healthy sleep cycle.3‡
- L-Theanine promotes relaxation and moderates occasional stress. Research indicates that L-theanine enhances alpha wave production in the brain, an indication of relaxation. Melatonin also facilitates the onset of sleep and sleep efficiency.1,4‡
Now, what if you just want to get some support in relaxing, but you’re not actually wanting to fall asleep just yet? Sometimes, peace and quiet really is an effective way of resting and gaining that necessary tranquility. Speaking of tranquility…
- Our Pure Tranquility Liquid provides GABA, glycine and l-theanine combined to support relaxation and moderate occasional stress.‡
- Both GABA and l-theanine enhance alpha wave production in the brain to promote relaxation and moderate occasional stress.5‡
- Several studies indicate that l-theanine enhances alpha wave production in the occipital and parietal regions of the brain, an indicator of relaxation, without causing drowsiness.6,7‡
- Evidence suggests that GABA and l-theanine also maintain healthy IgA levels, potentially supporting immune health during occasional stress.8,9‡
It’s About Quality Not Quantity
Have you heard the term “Junk Sleep?” Lately, its been a trend where people often may not achieve their REM cycle because of using electronics before bed or falling asleep with the TV on. But, junk sleep is a general term for not optimizing maximal health and wellness during sleep cycles. So, why not support the quality of your sleep with a formula specifically designed to support your natural sleep cycles and support the quality of your sleep each night?‡
- The combination of the time-tested herbs valerian, passionflower, chamomile, lemon balm and hops, found in our Best-Rest Formula, may act to calm and relax the central nervous system.‡
- Double-blind trials involving valerian, valerian/lemon balm combinations and valerian/hops combinations have indicated the potential to support the onset of sleep as well as healthy sleep quality.10‡
- Melatonin also facilitates the onset of sleep and sleep efficiency.10‡
Don’t Worry, I Didn’t Forget
I bet you’re wondering why I haven’t mentioned 5-HTP yet… Well, 5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan is an interesting compound and deserves its own little blurb. 5-HTP is best known for supporting brain serotonin levels to support emotional well-being, healthy eating behavior and healthy sleep.‡
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an intermediate in the natural synthesis of the essential amino acid, tryptophan, to serotonin.11‡
- Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of endocrine and brain activity responsible for emotion, appetite and sleep/wake cycles.11‡
Not to mention, 5-HTP has an added benefit of supporting emotional well-being, aids in appetite and weight management support and helps provide cranial vessel comfort.12‡†
Okay, so maybe that wasn’t exactly some light reading to get you in the sleepy-time mood. But hey! So, if you’re feeling extra sleepy lately or just feel as if you haven’t been getting quality sleep, why not help promote your sleep cycles and make the most of your sleep every night?